Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pie, pie .. me oh, my


I've never made an American pie type of pie before. And, as I've proclaimed on many an occasion before, I don't really like cakes and pastry all that much and am not into making them usually.

But yesterday morning we woke up and suddenly both wanted blueberry-pie. It took us a while to figure out why. Here's why: we went to see Kar Wai Wong's "My Blueberry Nights" this week and the "ice-cream melting into the blueberry topping" was a standard gear-shift screen-shot he used through out the movie. Such susceptible creatures we are.

Here's the trailer for "My blueberry nights" on Youtube.


I couldn't find blueberries in the store, so I bought a frozen berry mix that had some blueberries in it and then some frozen cherries. The recipe is something I combined from 5 - 6 pie-recipes I found online.

My first ever berry-cream pie:

prebake one pie crust (I bought the short-crust pastry from a store)
1 pack of frozen berries
1 pack of frozen pitted cherries
1 pack of cream-cheese (180 g)
1 pack(250 g) of vanilla-pudding
1 pack of whipped cream (225 ml)
1 cup of sugar
4 tsp of corn or potato starch
juice from 1/2 lemon

Prebake the crust and let it cool. Combine half a pack of frozen berries with some water on a sauce pan and let it simmer. Mix sugar and corn-starch. After ~4 min. add the sugar+corn-starch mix to the pan. Stir constantly. When the mixture thickens add the lemon juice. Add the rest of the berries and cherries and let it cool.

Whip the double-cream. Mix the cream-cheese with the vanilla pudding and then fold in the whipped cream. Spread this mix onto the pie-crust, cover with the berry-mix and refrigerate for ~2 hours.

Invite friends. Watch a stupid movie. Feel good about your Sunday.

As for subliminal messages, take a look at this :-)

No comments: