Friday, January 11, 2008

So far ... the best


I've moaned about the quality of fish / seafood available in Estonia on plenty an occasion, but there are some restaurants that are really upping their game. Our office Christmas dinner (I don't know what's taken me so long to post this) took place in a restaurant called Kadriorg this year and I must say, that for me, this has been the best fish-meal in a restaurant in Estonia so far. Yes, better than Tigu.

I started with Frutti di mare alla Siciliana, which was far - far too big for an entree, but absolutely fantastic. Fragrant and spicy, the tomato sauce was so natural, not sadly bland (winter + tomatoes = always a struggle) or artificially ketchupy-tasting. And the seafood was cooked for just the right amount of time, saving the prawns from the horrid death of being overcooked into unidentifiable woody knobs.

And for the main course I had Orata al forno con gremolata (Baked seabream with gremolata sauce). My first encounter with seabream and I was very impressed.
Compliments to the chef Andrei Šmakov. Want to go back.

No comments: