Monday, February 18, 2008

Thai musings

It's not very original, but I really, really feel I could do with some sun and warmth right about now. But the spring is nowhere to be seen and my plan to escape to some far-away sunny corner of the world does not seem to be coming to life. So I do what I can to battle the sadness that wants to creep in. And soups, nice, fragrant, warm, spicy soups is what I can.



Shrimp-broth a'la Thai:

chicken stock (from a cube or, if you're good then from pre-made and frozen chicken stock (I really am gonna get around to making some soon)).
1 star-anise pod
1 lemon-grass
3 tsp red thai curry paste
knob of fresh ginger root
iceberg-lettuce, sliced
green peas
shrimp
1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
6 sliced mushrooms
1 tsp of sesame seed oil

Boil the ginger, lemon-grass and anise in the chicken stock for ~7 min, then remove. Stir in the curry-paste and add mushrooms, shrimp and green peas and in the end the lettuce and tomato. Simmer through. Drizzle in the sesame-oil. Serve over egg-noodles or wild-rice.

No comments: