Monday, April 14, 2008

Another one for the Cheese-Monsters

As I've mentioned before, I'm related to and live with Cheese-Monsters (a related species to Cookie-Monsters, but more sophisticated in their tastes, can often be found lingering around the dairy aisles of the nicer supermarkets) and have been spared of this cellulite-inducing, cholesterol-pumping addiction by mere genetic-coincidence or, as I like to think, by extreme willpower :). I mean I like a good slice of Camambert or an odd Mozzarella stick as much as anyone else, but this is true and deep Love for Cheese I'm talking about here.

My lovely little-sis, the Junior Cheese-Monster in our family lives in Germany right now, but her recent France experience has clearly left a mark. Obviously I understand that this is as far from April Light as you can get, but this time it really doesn't count as I DIDN'T EVEN GET A BITE.

So here it is, tartiflette by my sis.

Tartiflette:

50g unsalted butter, softened
250g bacon cut into 1cm lardons
~ 1kg potatoes, peeled and sliced to a 3mm thickness
Ssalt and pepper
1 whole Reblochon cheese
200 g creme fraiche
1 big onion
some garlic

Fry the onions and the bacon in butter. Add the potatoes and stew for a little bit to make them half-soft. Grease the oven pan, put one layer of potatoes mixed with onions and bacon (half), add chopped garlic on top, cover with half of creme fraiche and half of the cheese (cut the cheese in two both ways). If necessary add some salt (very little) and pepper. Add the other layer of potatoes with bacon and creme fraiche and put the cheese on top. Cover with foil, put in the oven for 1 h (225 to 250 degrees).
When potatoes are done, take the foil off, brown the cheese.. and then eat and get fat.

p.s might actually be useful to boil the potatoes first, cause it takes a long time.
Reblochon tastes somewhat like Brie or Camambert, but is more sticky and melts better... and has less specific taste I think.

No comments: