Sunday, April 6, 2008

Banoffee Pie


Now I know this isn't really appropriate for the April Light campaign, but glitches like this were to be expected. Especially on weekends. And, I took this particular pie to a party, so it was shared nicely and we won't be overindulging on it for days to come (sadly).
I've been wanting to make Banoffee Pie for a while now (after it being called the object of "Horrible taste in pie" in "Love Actually" I think (apparently it has had a strong effect on other people as well, look what I found on YouTube).
Sadly, I didn't realize that most recipes call for boiling cans of condensed milk for hours on end, but as I had already set my mind on making it, I combed the web and found a way to make toffee much, much more quickly.

Banoffee Pie:
short-crust pastry for the crust
For the filling:
1 can of condensed milk with sugar
100g. butter
100g. brown sugar
300g. double cream
5-6 bananas
1 tsp of instant coffee
some chocolate for serving

Bake the pie crust and let it cool.
Put a sauce pan on low heat and melt the butter and sugar stirring constantly. Add the condensed milk, bring to boil (keep stirring it) and when it thickens remove from the heat.
Transfer the toffee mixture onto the pie crust in a thick layer and let it cool (I put it near an open window) so it becomes harder.
After it has cooled, peel the bananas, cut them lengthwise and put them on the toffee layer (cut side down). Whip the double cream with the coffee, cover the bananas with the cream and decorate with chocolate chips.

I liked it a lot. It's super sweet though, 1 slice is max for most people (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). I was thinking that maybe the toffee layer could be a bit thinner, or maybe next time I'll try to make toffee without adding sugar (just condensed milk should work, or not?) so maybe it'll be less sweet..

3 comments:

Fenridal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
megelena said...

"Super-sweet"? It's impossible! Looks sooooo delic! I do blame you for me going to store now :)

Kat said...

come back and I'll make you some ;)