Thursday, April 17, 2008

Faking it


I don't really know how to make Indian food. One of my favorite restaurants in Tallinn is an Indian restaurant and I've seen the occasional recipe in Good Food or Olive, but I don't have any friends who make good home-made Indian and I'm slowly finding my way in the world of Indian spices.
But, I recently realized, that I'm quite decent at faking it :)

Chicken and veggies:
4-5 chicken thies
1 cinnamon stick
sea salt
2 cloves of garlic
4 cloves
2 star-anise pods
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
3 tsp red curry paste
olive oil
1 small zucchini
1/2 cauliflower
2 carrots
1 can plum tomatoes with chilli
1 large onion, sliced

Take a large pot or a deep pan, cover the chicken thies with water (remove the skin if you want the food to be really light), add the sea salt, star anise, cloves and the cinnamon stick and boil until chicken is tender.
Remove the chicken, sieve the stock, get rid of the pods and stuff and set the stock aside.
Slice the carrot using the peeler (very thin, wide strips); julienne the zucchini. Cut the cauliflower into florets.
Heat some oil in the pan, add the sliced onion and the coarsely chopped garlic. Stir and heat until glossy. Add the coriander and the ginger and the canned tomatoes. Heat through, cool, then blend into a smooth sauce using a blender.
Put the chicken stock back into the pan, add the veggies, simmer. Add the pureed sauce. Pick the meat off the bones and add to the vegetables.
Serve with rice or eat as is.

No comments: