Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Good food and good friends (with guns) - Wild deer dinnerparty

I have a friend who enjoys shooting stuff. And he's good at it too. Clay pigeons for the medals and wild animals for the joy of his gluttonous friends :). It's deer season, so recently he went deer hunting and invited some friends over for a dinner party. It had been quite some time since our last one so it was that much more fabulous. Another friend usually shows up to those things and right before we start eating, tells something we call a 'Bambi-story', on how the meat we're about to eat was some cute forest-dweller's relative. But we've all grown a thick skin by now. I was temporarily even considering embedding a Bambi clip, that's before I found them on YouTube and remembered how sad it all was. If you're chocking up, open a good bottle of wine and read on, the recipe should melt your carnivorous heart (apologies to the vegetarians).

For a starter he served oven-roasted beetroot with goat cheese.

Another friend of ours imports wines, so she took care of the wine list. The Henkell Rose went very nicely with the appetizer

And here is the recipe (I'm reciting it from the memory, so I hope I remember all the details) for the:
Wild deer pot-roast with rice and vegetables a'la T├Ánu.

- sirloin cut of fresh wild deer (roebuck)
- 4-6 limes
- olive oil
- peppermint and thyme
- salt and pepper
- 500 ml cream(10%)
- rice
- carrots and broccoli

He cut up the deer into small pieces (3x3x3cm), mixed the juice of three limes with some olive oil, peppermint, thyme, salt and pepper and covered the meat with the marinade and left it overnight. The next day he said he thought there was not enough marinade, so he used the juice of three more limes with some more olive oil again and left it overnight again (so marinated on Sunday, cooked on Tuesday).
He then cooked the meat in a roast-pot (covered) for 1.5 hrs, added the cream (as now the marinade seemed a bit too sour) and cooked for half an hour more.
He pan-fried the pre-steamed carrots and broccoli and mixed it with boiled rice.
And he served it all with an oak-leaf and romaine lettuce salad with oranges.
It was really lovely, the meat was super-soft, almost crumbling and the freshness of the oranges in the salad played very well into the notes of lime in the marinade.

We had a 2002 Terra Andina Cabernet Franc-Merlot and a Michel Picard Bourgogne Pinot Noir to go with the main course.

Now that's what wonderful friends I've got. :)

3 comments:

Tony said...

Well, I also used peppermint and thyme in the marinade. And it was sirloin not a back-cut as I said I was wrong, remember? :)

Also - I have to specify - it was a roebuck not just any deer ;)

Kat said...

changes made :)

Chef E said...

My father hunted, and I am sure some deer and elk are greater than others, but I love venison stroganoff too! This looks yummy! I shot my first one at 18, clean shot through the head.