Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Banana skit - Banana bread recipe


I'm continuing to discover my new Nigella book (well actually, it was quite some time ago I made this banana bread, but I've got a bit of a back-log of stuff that awaits posting) and it was now banana-bread's turn. I'm not a great lover of loaf-cakes or sponges with (dried) fruit, but I do like bananas (more and more lately) and I've been meaning to make banana-bread for a while. After all, it has also made it's appearances in some books plus a friend of mine just recently advertised it as really yummy.

I did make some changes in the recipe however. Don't get me wrong - I like raisins, but only when they're exactly that - raisins i.e. dried, cringed grapes. Not when the process has been violently reversed, by soaking them in a liquid, so that they start looking like - well - really old, abused, half-dead grapes again.
So I kicked out the sultanas (the original recipe asks for 100g that are sauteed in 75 ml bourbon or dark rum) and instead used 50 gr of dark (70%) chocolate, broken into chips.

I didn't have the heart to kick out the alcohol as well (after all, bananas seem to ask for some fragrant hard liquor in desserts). So I kept that (not, rum though, I used Xante (a 38% pear and cognac liquor).

And I used large bananas instead of small ones (the more banana the better I say, especially when it's banana bread we're talking about).

Banana bread with dark chocolate and Xante (Banaanileib tumeda shokolaadi ja Xantega):

75 ml Xante
175 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
125 g butter, melted
150 g white sugar
2 eggs
4 big bananas, the riper the better
100 g chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar

Preheat the oven to 170 C, line a lasagna tin / loaf tin with some baking-paper and grease the paper.
Peel the bananas, cut them up an mash them using an old school potato-masher (so that they're in a gooey mash, but not completely blitzed to oblivion).

Melt the butter and mix in the sugar, beat until blended. Beat in eggs one at a time.

Now pour in the mashed bananas and beat (or stir) until well mixed.
Chop the walnuts and stir them in.

And then stir in the alcohol.
In a separate bowl mix the flour with the baking powder (and vanilla sugar if you're using that, if you're using liquid extract, add it to the eggs-butter and a banana mix).
Start mixing in the flour 1/3 at a time, stir well after each bit.

Scrape the mixture into the tin an bake for an hour or an hour and 15 minutes. Let it cool (at least a bit) before serving. Serve in thick slices (those who drink milk claim that itäs fabulous with a glass of cold milk - you know, Santa Clause style).

3 comments:

Pille said...

Aga proovi rummis leotatud rosinatega ka ikka - väga mõnus jääb :)

Usha said...

The banana bread looks fantastic and very tempting...

Kat said...

Pille - nende rosinatega oli suur dilemma, ma isegi ostsin rosinad valmis, tundus et peaks ikka panema. aga siis käsi ei tõusnud :D
ma arvan, et ma pean kellegi ära sugereerima rosinatega tegema ja siis maitsma minema.

Thanks Usha! :)