Thursday, December 18, 2008

The most important meal of the day - home made granola recipe

I guess it's a good indicator that one has too much free time on their hands when one starts making odd things from scratch. Things that there is really no good reason to home-make as the store-bought versions are just fine.
I do have a bit of time on my hands right now. Or maybe I've just reached the higher level of foodieness :)

This way or another, I made some home-made granola. The reason's were quite prosaic although. I forgot to buy some and had all the ingredients so I decided to have a go.

Home-made honey roasted granola (muesli?) with pumpkin seeds and raisins (Meega röstitud müsli kõrvitsaseemnete ning rosinatega):

2 tsp butter
1-2 tbsp honey
2 good squirts of golden syrup
a big handful of raisins
a handful of pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
some nutmeg
~ 1,5 - 2 cups of golden oatflakes (rolled oats)

Heat the butter and sprinkle the pan with the oats. Slowly roast until the color changes to more golden.

Add the honey (in small chunks if it's hard or just squirt on) and mix. Add the syrup (actually you could substitute the syrup with honey or just use less, it seemed as if it would not be sweet enough while I was making it, but after it had cooled it could have even been a bit less sweet). Keep roasting and stirring - the oats will be coated with the sweetness that will later turn into crispy caramel coating. Add the cinnamon and scrape some nutmeg. Add the pumpkin seeds.

Roast for 2-3 minutes more then add the raisins. Let it cool. Store in a plastic container.

It was enough for one person for 3-4 mornings.
And it was actually a good change from the million store-bought varieties.

3 comments:

Belén said...

It's really the important meal of the day, I have noted down it's recipe.

lisaiscooking said...

I'm sure your version was fresher and tastier than store-bought. Looks great!

Usha said...

Looks great,love the idea of making granola from scratch :-)