Monday, January 19, 2009

Easy-peasy satisfaction for a sweet-craving: A Marzipan Cake recipe

This is a beautiful little cake, it's another one from Nigella Lawson's cake book that's inspired me so much recently. If anyone is trying to lose weight though they shouldn't get that book, that's for sure.

I hadn't seen any of Nigella's TV shows, but I have now, one of the girly TV channels (11) here has them on on Sundays (although at some absurd hour, like 1 or 2 p.m, so you're usually never around to watch). But I have seen an episode or two now and it's made me like her book and herself even more. Apart from the fact that she's such a MILF as S is always compelled to remark when he passes the TV while she's on, I feel that I share her attitude to cooking and her appreciation for food almost a 100%. You know how there are all these different celebrity chefs and TV chefs, and you kind of like some and totally dislike others, well I'm not the Heston Blumenthal kind of anal-retentive foodie, but rather more in the easy-going school of Nigella, where measuring and methodology takes a bit of a backseat to tasting, sampling, smelling and just enjoying preparing something.
And she is such a hottie too :)

But to the cake.

Nigella's Easy Almond Cake (Nigella lihtne martsipanikook): and you can find the original recipe here.

Having already learned from my previous experience with Nigella's recipes (and having ended up with a humongous batch of brownies that I ended up devouring for a week at least - not that I really minded), I cut the amount of ingredients in half as it was just for the two of us.

- So I used 3 eggs, 125 g butter etc.
- I used proportionately more marzipan than in her recipe. I think I had a chunk that was about 200 g (instead of 125 that the 1/2 recipe called for then).
- I didn't have self-raising flour, so I used the usual plain flour and added 1 tsp of baking powder.
- And I didn't have almond essence, so I used 1 tbsp of cherry syrup. This meant that while the batter did smell almondy, the cake, after baking, wasn't all that almond-like. But it was wonderful nonetheless, so no complaints from me.
- I also added some chopped almonds on top for a crunchy coating.

It's fantastic when it comes out of the oven and it is perfect when it has cooled down. It's quite sweet, but not overbearingly so and the texture is lovely. It is moist, soft just lovely. And very difficult to stop eating.

2 comments:

Jo said...

wow, this looks delicious. i've been seeing a number of nigella's cake recipes on a few blogs but have yet to try any. have to definitely bookmark this.

Sophie said...

I really want a piece of this, please...! It looks so good!!!!