Saturday, February 28, 2009

An ode to oats - Oatmeal cookie recipe


above pic from here

Oats have become my new best friends now that I try to abstain from as much of the refined products as possible and most of the stuff needed to prepare my favorite desserts, cakes or pies are out. Oatmeal in the morning, or granola and now I've rediscovered an old childhood favorite - oatmeal cookies or actually oatmeal mounds.

In the light of this newly found oats-appreciation I managed to completely overdo it with the oats so my mom told me an old Soviet time joke while laughing at me one morning. It went something like this:

During Leonid Brezhnev's time there were bad food shortages in the Soviet Union, so one morning the aids come to Brezhnev and say.
"There is no more food, what should we feed the people with?"
"Well, are there oats?" asks Brezhnev
"Yes," the aids say.
"Feed them the oats then,"
"We're afraid they might start to whinny,"
"I don't see what the problem is, this morning I had duck for breakfast and I didn't start to quack."

But these cookies won't make you neigh, neither will they make you whinny. Trust me, I ate the whole lot in two days as they were the only thing besides bananas that I could satisfy my sweet craving with. And they're brilliant for breakfast as well. Just crumble up a couple and serve with natural yoghurt and frozen berries.


Oatmeal mounds (dairy and gluten free) (Kaerap├Ątsid):

500 g rolled oats
150g brown raw sugar (preferably with molasses)
4 eggs
125 g butter
flax seeds (or any other kind of seeds, nuts or pieces of dried fruit) (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Melt the butter and sugar on low heat and set aside.
Beat in the eggs after the butter-mixture has slightly cooled.
Mix in the oats and the seeds. Set aside for as long as you have time for. The more they soak and drink up the moisture the better the cookies will be.
Cover a baking tin with baking paper and make small mound (about a tablespoon worth of dough per mound).
Bake for about 10-15 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love oats but they are not gluten free.

Anonymous said...

great share, great article, very usefull for me...thank

you