Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stack'em up - a layered vegetable gratin recipe

These layered pot-roasts are a great winter time dish. You can pack so much flavor into each bite without overdoing it in terms of fat or calories. Comfort food without the uncomfortable ass-enlargement factor :)

This particular one demanded some imagination on my part and this is how I reached the bread-crumbs. Namely I had to avoid using any dairy products (so the obvious choice of toping it all off with lots and lots of cheese didn't work).
This is another one of my pre-nursing dishes, but now that I'm thinking about it again, it seems that I might easily be able to modify it so that it'd be baby-friendly. I'd need to get rid of the beans - maybe use zucchini instead, bell peppers and also onion and garlic (ouch) and add more herbs for flavor. Maybe I could even get away with using whole cloves of garlic and big chunks of onion that I could later on pick out after they've left they're flavor. I wonder if flacvor can also induce tummy aches or just the actual eating of onions and garlic.
Any experience with that, anyone?

Vegetable and ham gratin (dairy free) (Advilja ja singigratään (piimavaba):

2-3 medium potatoes, peeled
1-2 large carrots, peeled
a large handful of green beans
1/2 red bell pepper
salt, pepper, dried thyme
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
100 - 150 gr of ham
2 eggs
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp of rye breadcrumbs
6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
3-4 tbsp of tomato juice

Thinly slice the potatoes and julienne the carrots.
Chop the onion and mince the garlic, also chop the ham.
Chop the red bell pepper.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and the garlic, then add the ham.
Now add the green beans and chopped bell peppers and season with salt, pepper and thyme.

Whisk the eggs with the tomato juice.
Preheat the oven to 170.
Take a deep glass or clay oven-roast pot (needs to have a lid) and start layering the ingredients.
First a layer of potatoes, then carrots, then the ham and veggie mixture from the pan, then some bread crumbs.

And again and again until you run out of ingredients or space. Cover with a layer of potatoes, then some breadcrumbs and the cherry-tomato halves.

Finally pour in the egg mixture.
Cook in the oven for ~40 minutes or until ingredients seem tender when poked with a fork.

3 comments:

Sophie said...

Your gratin looks so yummie:)!!! Yum Yum!!!

Joie de vivre said...

This looks wonderful! I'm glad baby is letting you cook. My first was patient too. He loved his swing and I set it up right in the kitchen where he could watch.

lisaiscooking said...

Sorry, I'm not help with baby information. But, your gratin looks fantastic!