Thursday, March 5, 2009

Three kinds of babylicious muffins



So as you can see from the title - I've been experimenting to find new and healthy and baby-proofed ways to satisfy my sweet-cravings. And here are the results, all of these turned out really good, if I do say so myself.
I'm proud to present - whole-grain muffins - banana, carrot and beetroot.

Banana muffins (makes 12) (Banaanimuffinid):

60 gr dark brown sugar
30 g of butter (use 2 tbsp of vegetable oil for a dairy free option)
150 g of whole grain organic flour
2 large bananas
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of soda

Carrot muffins (makes 12) (Porgandimuffinid):

60 gr of dark brown sugar
50 g of butter (use 4 tbsp of vegetable oil for a dairy free option)
150 g of whole grain organic flour
1 very large grated carrot
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 large egg
1/2 tsp ginger
some grated nutmeg

(cinnamon would also be a nice addition, but it is on the 'Potentially BAD' list of allergens, so I didn't dare to).

Beetroot muffins (makes 12) (Peedimuffinid):

3 large table spoons of rice-molasses
50 g of butter (use 4 tbsp of vegetable oil for a dairy free option)
150 g of whole grain organic flour
1/2 of a large boiled beetroot, grated
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp ginger
some grated nutmeg

Directions are the same for all three:
Preheat the oven to 190 C.
Melt the butter on low heat, add sugar or molasses.
In a bowl mash bananas / or grate the carrot / or the beetroot.
In a separate bowl mix the flour, soda, baking powder and the spices.
Combine the bananas / carrot / beetroot with the melted butter and sugar / molasses mixture.
In case of the carrot muffins I also added the egg here. I was afraid, that as the carrots are less smooth and gooey than bananas, the muffins won't be so nice without the egg. But after having experimented with the beetroot, I think the carrot muffins can also be easily made without egg.
Then mix in the flour.
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T OVER-MIX. Just stir it a couple of times, otherwise your muffins will be tough. The dough can be lumpy and slightly floury, trust me the muffins will be good.

Bake for about 25 minutes.
Don't tell people you put beetroot in them :)

6 comments:

Sophie said...

MMMMMM.....Your 3 different muffins look so appetizing & I espescially like the beetroot version!!! MMMMMM......

lisaiscooking said...

These sound healthy and delicious. The beetroot muffin sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Hi just to point out your muffins are not dairy free :). You are using butter in your muffins. But otherwise these muffins look great and I will surely try the beetroot ones.

Kat said...

Oops :) You're right. I'm changing that.
But you can make them with vegetable oil as well :)

Joie de vivre said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns with the healthy eating while nursing. I am so proud of you. I would have been turned off by the beetroot in the muffin, but they look lovely!

Kat said...

OH, thank you :) But to be honest I'm just too chicken to experiment yet, as I couldn't bare if he got tummy aches or allergies and would vry (more).
I did have my first bit of chocolate this week however :)