Friday, April 3, 2009

More really simple pasta - Spring pasta with zucchini and carrots


I've told you about my newly found love for pasta. Well that paired with an increased intake of whole-grain products naturally brought me to organic whole-grain spaghetti, which I bought in my favorite organic food store. I wasn't sure what would go well with it initially, but then one night before dozing off it came to me. Here it is, a nice springtime pasta dish that's really easy to make. I loved it. S, however, suspiciously picked in it with his fork and said 'Well, this spaghetti doesn't look that sexy.' And when I looked at him with mild disapproval, he continued, even more suspiciously: 'What's wrong with it then? Is it some kind of healthy again?'

So here we go then, some kind of healthy pasta for girls :)

Whole grain spaghetti with zucchini and carrots: (T├Ąisterapasta suvek├Árvitsa ja porgandiga):
serves 3


~150 gr whole grain spaghetti
1 zucchini
1 large carrot
3 tbsp cream cheese
1-2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
fresh or dried basil
freshly ground sea salt
3-4 leaves of iceberg lettuce
Grana Padano or any other kind of hard cheese for serving

Peel the carrot and grate or cut it into thin strips. Cut the zucchini up into small cubes.
Boil the pasta according to directions until al dente (6-8 minutes).

Heat the oil in a deep pan and quickly fry the carrots and zucchini until zucchini cubes are lightly golden brown here and there. Add the basil and sea salt.

Mix in the cream cheese.
Shred the iceberg lettuce (I only thought of this the second time I was having this pasta, so it's not on the photo) and toss it in with the drained spaghetti.
Serve with Grana Padano or any other kind of hard cheese.

For those who can, I'd also recommend adding roasted garlic, the nutty taste of it will compliment the zucchini and Grana Padano and the mild sweetness of the whole grain pasta nicely.

4 comments:

burpandslurp said...

what brand of whole grain pasta do you use? the ones I find are so bad-tasting!
that pasta is just so simple and refreshing...what a way to welcome spring!

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds delicious and perfect for spring, and I love whole wheat pasta!

Sophie said...

I adore whole wheat pasta & this pasta looks delicious!! Something special for spring!! MMMMMM......

Kat said...

I used Bio C'est La vie by Pural. The labe is all in german, so I'm guessing it's german. It was very nice tasting. honestly :)