Sunday, May 10, 2009

A bikini friendly chocolate cake

I've started inventing cakes. A big step for me. As I've said before, I used to not like to make desserts and cakes at all, because I felt that there was not enough room for creativity. That one has to stick with the recipe, otherwise the cake just won't rise, or be sticky enough or chewy enough or enough of something else you want it to be.
But, I guess it's all down to practice, make enough cakes and you'll grow a pair in terms of playing around with the recipes and inventing your own.
So here's a 'fake' chocolate cake that I came up with one day. It's a bikini friendly version of a chocolate loaf cake and it has a secret ingredient in it :). Don't hate me for it, and - No, I'm not obsessed with beetroot (or maybe just a little). And - Yes, I promise it doesn't taste like beetroot at all, it really tastes like a chocolate cake.

I based the recipe on the banana bread recipe.

Chocolate loaf-cake with beetroot (Shokolaadikook peediga):

175 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tsps potato-starch (or corn starch)
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
125 g butter, melted
150-200 g dark muscovado sugar
2 eggs
1 average size boiled beetroot
50 g dark chocolate
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla sugar


Boil the beetroot until tender (will take about an hour on medium/low heat).
Peel and cut up the beetroot and let it cool.

Preheat the oven to 170 C and line a lasagna tin with some baking-paper.
Melt the butter with the sugar and chocolate.
Blitz the beetroot, the sugar-butter-chocolate mass, the two eggs and the sour-cream in a blender or a food processor.


Combine and mix the remaining dry ingredients and add to the beetroot-butter-egg mixture. Mix until smooth.
Scrape the mixture into the loaf-tin and sprinkle with demerara sugar (if you want to).

Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out cleanish.

It is super-smooth in texture (thanks to the potato starch and the beetroot) and very moist (thanks to the beetroot). And not odd or gross at all. Cross my heart :)


1 comment:

Sophie said...

MMMMM.....I made a cake like this before too: I love beet rro added in a cake: it gives a lovely flavour!! Yummie!!!