Sunday, May 17, 2009

Much Ado About Crepes

I read in a fellow foodie's blog (and for the life of me, I can't remember whose it was, I just spent 15 minutes browsing the suspects and nothing, so if it was you, please leave a comment and claim the honor :) about sundried tomato crepes and it stuck with me. So one evening when my Little Slavedriver was in a 'allow cooking mode' I decided to try making them.

Sundried tomato crepes with two fillings (chicken + cottage cheese and avocado + surimi) (Kana ja kodujustu või avokaado ja krabipulga täidisega päikesekuivatatud tomati pannkoogid):
serves 2 (1 of each for both)

For the chicken and cottage cheese filling:
some roast chicken or a baked chicken breast fillet (appr. 1 breast fillet)
~100 g of cottage cheese
a small handful of pitted black olives
a small handful of cherry tomatoes
freshly ground salt and pepper

Cut the chicken into nice chunks. Slice the olives and halve the cherry tomatoes. Mix everything together and season with salt and pepper.

Set aside until you prepare the second filling and the pancakes.

For the avocado-surimi filling:

1 ripe avocado
some surimi (if it comes in sticks, use 2 sticks or 1/2 pack)
1 tbsp of sour cream


Cut. Mix.


For the crepes:
1 egg
~6 sundried tomatoes, thinly chopped
~glass of milk
~4 tbsp flour
salt
a few grindings of Latplanta Everyday seasoning (can't check right now, but as I remember it has black peppercorns, caraway seeds and garlic in it, plus some other suff I can't remember)
oil for frying

Whisk the egg and milk, season. Then whisk in the flour (sorry about the approximate quantities, I forgot to make a mental note of how much of what I used). Season and add the sundried tomatoes. Mix. The dough should be relatively thin. Maybe like a thin drinking yoghurt (or oil). I used chopped sundried tomatoes, but after making them I thought that it would probably be easier to fry the crepes (especially turn them) if the tomatoes were blitzed in a food processor or a blender or if you used the sundried tomato paste). I'm blaming chunky tomatoes for the fact that my crepes were a bit on the thick side (can't blame my own lack of skill now, can I :).

Using a good (needs to still have a straight bottom :) pan, heat some oil on medium heat and pour a ladleful of dough on a pan. Needs to be thin, so the ladleful shouldn't cover the whole pan immediately, but you should need to twirl the pan a bit to make sure the dough covers the bottom. Flip (carefully (after the side facing you has dried).
Scoop about 2 large tablespoons of a salad per pancake, roll up or fold. Enjoy.
I found that both salads worked very well with the crepes, neither of them overtook the taste of the sundried tomatoes in the crepes nor did the taste overtake the flavors of the salads.

3 comments:

burpandslurp said...

this looks sooo good! I feel like you posted this JUST for me because I'm so obsessed with crepes...and it reminds me of the sundried-tomato crepes from Out of the Pan, the creperie I frequented in Singapore!

Sophie said...

MMMMM....Kat! Those lovely filled crêpes soud so good for me & my husband! They look georgous to me!! Yummie!

lisaiscooking said...

Both fillings sound delicious! And, the sun-dried tomato crepes is a great idea. The little chunks must have been delicious even if they made the crepes thicker.