Monday, May 25, 2009

So very berryliscious

I'm on a mission to empty my freezer and that leads to some interesting ideas in the kitchen. Usually I just go to the freezer, open it, stare for a while, then pace around the kitchen, then surf the web or leaf through some cook books and then decide that all the options are boring or I don't feel like making them. Then some more time passes and I get an idea that allows for some experimenting. Or at least an idea to make something I haven't made before or haven't made in the recent past.
So that's how this 'bursting with berries' yoghurt cake came about. It's based on the French yoghurt cake recipe.

A moist and tender yoghurt cake bursting with berries (Eriti paljude marjadega jogurtikook):

250 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
150 g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
125 ml vegetable oil
3 eggs
380 ml berry yoghurt
200 g blueberries (I used frozen)
400 g strawberries (I used frozen)

Preheat the oven to 180 C and cover a pie-tin with baking powder or if you're using silicone, brush with oil.
If you're using frozen berries, put them under hot running water for a second and then drain. This way you'll get rid of all the excess ice and they won't water down your cake too much.
Whisk together the oil, eggs, sugar and yoghurt.
In a separate bowl mix the rest of the dry ingredients.
Add the yoghurt-mixture to the dry ingredients and mix again (not too much). Then fold in the berries.

I was very happy with it. It ended up being ultra soft and moist, very tender. And as said before, bursting with berries. It made me feel as if the summer was here already. And apparently - as I noticed later when I observed S gobbling it down - it can also be eaten as different kind of dessert - in a bowl with some fresh cold milk.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

MMMMM....Kat! This looks so lovely!! Yum all the way!
I love this simplicity!

lisaiscooking said...

Yogurt cakes are so good, and yours looks delicious! The more berries the better.