Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Somthing simple and delicious for the last strawberries


Finally a moment for posting. My boy started crawling around a while ago and has developed such cosmic speeds by now (and he always heads for the dangerous stuff that our apartment suddenly seems full of) that I don't even have a moment to catch my breath let alone sit down and enjoy a simple moment of sorting through my food pics and reminiscing about one of the last pleasant moments in the kitchen.

We were visiting my parents again last week and the strawberries were in their full glory. So I was thinking what to do with them (after having stuffed my face straight from the garden of course) and after making another one of my Pavlova's (I've got my mom hooked now) again, I decided to try out the British classic - Eton mess. It did seem like a glorified version of the strawberries with cream, so popular in Estonia, but I still wanted to try.

Eton mess (serves 5-6):

350 ml whipping cream (35%)
1/2 tsp of vanilla sugar
4-5 large meringues (we don't have nice ones in the store here, so we made ours ourselves using 3 eggs, 1 tsp of white wine vinegar, 1 tsp of potato starch and 150 gr of extra fine sugar. It made about 8 large meringues, crispy on the outside and nice and marshmallowy on the inside (and accidentally a bit too tan on the outside as well. Beat room temperature egg whites with the sugar and the starch, fold in the vinegar and slowly bake).
a good bowl of strawberries (I have no idea how much was in there).
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp of good peppermint snaps, Cointreau or other kind of liqueur.

Beat the whipping cream with the vanilla sugar.

Turn about 2/3 of the strawberries into a strawberry sauce (blitz with the sugar and the liqueur). Save the nicer and bigger strawberries, clean them and cut them into halves or sectors.
Crumble 2-3 meringues into the whipped cream.

Then fold in the strawberry pieces.

Chill for about an hour.
Serve drizzled with the strawberry sauce and some more pieces of meringue. Decorate with fresh mint leaves if you have any.

Essentially I was right - it is just glorified strawberries with cream. Or perhaps a simplified strawberry pavlova. But who cares. It's so nice on a lovely summer afternoon. Sadly it'll take most of the next day to work off, but hey, we all deserve our little indulgences.

4 comments:

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

This is mind blowingly simple and yet so irresistibly delicious!
Thanks for sharing and congrats to you...your son should be running next :)

Sophie said...

Oooooh Kat: your eton mess looks so delicious!

Your meringues look so attractive!!

A divine dessert!!

Kat said...

Thanks :)

BTW, Sophie - I get error messages when I try to comment on your blog. For days already...

lisaiscooking said...

Looks delicious! Your meringues look great. This is such a good combination, but then you can't go wrong with fresh strawberries!