Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ridiculously easy

Here are two salads, that are so easy to make, they're actually an embarrassment to a self-proclaimed foodie as I am. But they reflect our summer reality, so what can I do. The bean one is a new invention, but the potato one is an every summer staple and my absolute summertime favorite. I could basically live off of it and often do...

My absolute favorite summertime tomato salad (Tomati ja kartulisalat):
serves 2


1 large boiled potato
1-2 very large tomatoes
1 small or 1/2 large onion
2 slices of black rye bread
some fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp of unrefined sunflower seed oil
freshly ground black pepper
freshly ground salt

Dice the potato, bread and chop the onion.

If you want to, peel the tomato and then cut it up.

Toss everything with oil, season with salt and pepper and basil leaves.
Enjoy with a glass of cold beer or on it's own in a shade of an apple tree.... This is summer. Yum!

A simple broad-bean and cheese salad (Lihte põldoa ja juustusalat): serves 4

1 clove of garlic
some fresh basil
a small bowl (or a large two-hand handful) of shelled, boiled broad-beans
1 tomato
~50 g grated Parmesand or Grana Padano
~50 g grated cheese (any kind you like)
~2 tbsp sour cream
~2 tbsp mayonnaise
freshly ground black pepper

Boil the broad-beans in their shells for about 30 min. Add a lot of salt in the end.
Let them cool and shell them.

Chop up the garlic.

Peel and deseed the tomato and cut up the pulp.
Grate the cheeses.
Mix everything with sour cream and mayo and season with pepper. Serve with fresh basil.

Broad-beans are a funny thing, some people really like them and others find them hardly edible. For example my dad asked said, that it's a nice cheese salad, by why are there beans in it? :)
I like them. I like to just eat them and I liked them in the salad. However later I started thinking that maybe it would have been a good idea to halve them, so the juice would have gotten in. But that wouldn't have looked too hot...

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Your broad been salad looks fab!! I would like to taste it right now, Kat!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,...