Saturday, October 3, 2009

Muffin Madness

I've been playing around with muffins again. I've made pear and cognac (sadly, no pictures so I'm not posting them); marzipan muffins so full of blueberries that they're dark as night and super smooth apple muffins with the secret ingredient of left-over baby food (oh do read on, it's much less yucky than it sounds). As always, many cooking-related ideas come around from necessity. I had left over apple-puree that I'd made for my son but I didn't want to give it to him after I had transported it in a car on a warm day. And I'm still on the mission impossible of clearing out my freezer, that’s how the blueberry muffins ended up literally stuffed with berries. I think the apple muffins are my all time favorites from all the different veggie and fruit muffins that I've made. They were even better than the banana muffins.

Double-apple muffins (Muffinid topeltõunaga):
makes 12

4 large tablespoons of rice-molasses
50 g of butter (use 4 tbsp of vegetable oil for a dairy free option)
150 g of plain flour
~200 ml apple sauce / apple jam (in that case reduce the amount of molasses unless you're a major sweet-tooth) or, in my case - self-made apple-puree I made for my son (sweetened with raisins and no sugar).
4 small sour but ripe apples.
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Peel, core and dice the apples.
Melt the butter on low heat, add molasses.
Set aside to cool slightly.
In a separate bowl mix the flour, soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
Mix the apple sauce into the butter and molasses mixture. Add the diced apples.



Then mix in the flour.
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T OVERMIX. Just stir it a couple of times.

Divide between muffin-tins, sprinkle with sugar and bake for ~15-20 minutes.


Marzipan and blueberry muffins (Muffinid martsipani ja mustikatega):
makes 12

2 large tablespoons of brown sugar
50 g of butter (use 4 tbsp of vegetable oil for a dairy free option)
150 g of plain flour
200-300 g frozen blueberries
100 g marzipan
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Melt the butter on low heat, add the sugar.
Set aside to cool slightly.
Transfer the mixture into a blender, add the egg and crumbled marzipan. Whizz until smooth.
In a separate bowl mix the flour, soda, baking powder.
Now combine the flour mixture and the egg-butter-etc mixture plus the blueberries.
DON'T OVERMIX. Just stir it a couple of times.
Divide between muffin-tins and bake for ~15-20 minutes.

6 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

They both sound delicious! I want to try the double apple.

Sophie said...

I love them both but I adore the marzipan & blueberry muffins the most.

MMMMM,..marzipan in a fruity muffin: they look absolutely georgous!

Alisa - frugal foodie said...

Those do look delicious! Love the creativity with the marzipan, but think that double apple muffin is calling my name!

mardikas said...

http://emajoefood.blogspot.com/ siin on see toidublogi, mis ma mainisin :)

Maria said...

Tere
Vabandan kui see tobe küsimus, aga ma tahaks küsida, mis see rice-molasses endast kujutama peaks? :)
Ettetänades,
Maria

Kat said...

Maria - see on melass, selline nagu siirup. Riisist tehtud. Tallinnas saadaval näiteks Maaanni ökopoes (vana Kaubamaja)(leivaküpsetamiseks soovitavad seda). Aga selle asemel sobiks vabalt ka suhkrusiirup, mesi v suhkur.