Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Beloved Beetroot

I assume it's become abundantly clear to anyone visiting this blog, that I have a thing for beetroot. I really really like it. And have been known to add it to everything. Stuffed paprikas. Meatballs. Muffins. Chocolate cake.
Well, I finally got around to making something that makes the beetroot itself the star of the dish - the very posh and absolutely adorable beetroot chips.
I'd been wondering about how to make them a while ago as they've been popping up in various nice dishes of different restaurants for quite some time now. Last summer my mom gave me this pocket-book sized book called "100 starters" and the chips were in ther. Pretty straight-forward to think about it. Just slice super thinly and deep fry (I' been wondering if maybe they should be slowly dried in the oven (as dried apple and pear chips are made). Maybe there are different ways to make different kinds of beetroot chips. Any experiences with that, anyone?

Anyhow, here are my beetroot chips and what I used them for.

Beetroot chips (peedikrõpsud):

1 beetroot, peeled, sliced with a vegetable peeler
a good amount of sunflower oil (~150 ml)
sea salt


Peel and slice the beetroot. Then pat the slices down with a paper towel to absorb the extra juices.
Pour the oil into a deep saucepan and heat it to 190C (a cube of white bread will turn golden brown in a minute).
Deep fry in batches and lay out on paper-towels to get rid of the extra oil.
I found that the right time to take them out is when the slices aren't covered with the tiny bubbles any more. Take them out earlier and they'll be crinkled and soggy. Take them out later and they'll have lost the lovely purple color and all of the beetroot taste and will just taste like chips.
Sprinkle with sea salt.
Serve with a dip or on a salad.

I made a side-salad for another batch of the warm honey-glazed goat's cheese toasts :

1 pot of your favorite leafy salad (I used Lollo Rosso at that particular time)
1 generous handful of pine nuts
Beetroot chips for 1/2 a beet
about 2 tbsp of leftover glaze from the goat's cheese toasts (to make new one you'll need about equal glugs of olive oil and Balsamico + 1-2 tbsp of honey, put it on medium heat and keep swirling until smooth and combined).

Tear up the salad leaves, toss with pine nuts, sprinkle with the beetroot chips, drizzle with the glaze and serve.

4 comments:

Sophie said...

What a great post!! i also love beets!!
reczently, I made a beetroot risotto with ricotta & parmesan!! Go check it out!!

Didn't you recieve my comment on your risotto post??
I also chose you to be on my recievers list for the Pay it forward package!! yeah!! Congrats!! You must do the same to 3 other persons!

Please, send me an email @ my email adress: sboven@belgacom.net with your full name @& adress please!

Thanks, your foodie friend,

Sophie

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds great! I love beets, and beet chips must be delicious. I'll have to try these.

Pille said...

Peet on mu kõige lemmikum köögivili ja peeditsipse krõbistan ka mõnuga. Kõige toredam on see, et tütrele meeldib ka väga - nt eelmisel nädalal sõi kenasti ingveri-peedisuppi :)
Kas Sa oma pojale oled juba peeti tutvustanud?

Kat said...

Sorry Sophie, as you see from my last post - I was just having a brainfreeze moment re: organizing the comments in my blog. And thank you thank you thank you for the honor of being your pay it forward package buddy :)
Pille - ma olen paar korda püüdnud peeti anda, läks nagu kaubaks küll aga mitte suurima vaimustusega, tundub, et ma pean teda veel treenima, et ta ikka teaks, mis on hea:)