Monday, November 30, 2009

Roasted root veggies and pasta? Yes indeed

I made this dish a while ago, I think it might have been a month ago or even longer, the fall was still in it's full colors and playing around with lovely colorful root veggies was just the thing to do. I roast veggies a lot, but usually to accompany a steak. I ha never thought it'd be OK to match them with pasta. Bt I decided to try and I was quite satisfied. It was filling and had the necessary elements of comfort food, but was still healthy and not insanely calorie packed.

Roasted root veggie and Mozzarella pasta (Pasta röstitud juurviljade ja mozzarellaga):

Serves 4

For the veggies:
2 small beetroots
1/2 of a big white radish
2 - 3 large carrots
a good glug of olive oil (about 2 tbsp)
a good glug of Balsamico
1 large tbsp of honey


For the pasta:
your favorite pasta shapes, I used penne
1 pack of mozzarella balls (~125 g.)
2 pots of your favorite lettuce
a large handful of pine nuts
some olive oil for drizzling
freshly ground salt, pepper and ground cumin seeds (or I used salt and Latplanta Everyday Seasoning)

Peel the veggies and cut them in sectors.
Parboil until just tendering. I boiled the beets separately as I didn't want everything to end up purple.
Heat the oil, Balsamico and the honey on low heat in a small saucepan. Swirl from time to time until combined and syrupy.
Preheat the oven to 200C.
Line an baking tray with baking paper.
Toss the veggies in the syrup until evenly coated and lay out on the baking tray.
Bake until tender and nicely brown on the outside.

While the veggies are baking, boil the pasta according to the packet instructions.
Tear up the lettuce and pile on each plate.
When the pasta and veggies are done, toss them and add some to each plate. Tear up the mozzarella balls (unless using tiny ones) and sprinkle the pasta with the mozzarella and the pine nuts. Season. Drizzle with some olive oil.

I liked it and was especially surprised how well the flavors of the roasted white radish and the mozzarella complimented each other. Initially I had thought of using some stronger tasting cheese like goat's cheese or perhaps feta, but mozzarella was the right way to go.

1 comment:

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds wonderful with the lettuce and mozzarella and pine nuts! I'd love a plate of this for dinner tonight.