Sunday, December 13, 2009

Confusion and cake

Ugh... I'm such an idiot :).
For a while now I've been thinking why none of my foodie friends are leaving comments anymore. Was getting the feeling of being all neglected and forgotten. The protruding lower lip thing was already happening and all. And then now, I realized that I had to accept of reject 60 comments as I myself had changed the settings to escape the ever growing avalanche of spam in hieroglyphs. So anyway - so sorry that It took me so long to publish all the real comments.

And, I'm getting frustratingly behind with my blogging. I have such a backlog of things I've made and photographed that I'd want to share and somehow time just escapes me. If I'm not gonna be able to get through the pile before Christmas (and the inevitable new pile of food), I'll just go for a photo-collage.

But for now, something sweet. Super super sweet to be exact. It's a cake I made from the December issue of Delicious magazine.

Plum marzipan and almond sponge cake (ploomi ja martsipanikook):
serves 10


200 g softened butter
200 g caster sugar
4 large eggs
100 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
130 g ground almonds
50 g roasted hazelnuts, chopped
120 golden baking marzipan, chopped
500 g plums, stoned and cut into sectors
20 g flaked almonds

Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Grease a deeper oven tin.
Cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater, then add the eggs one at a time, whisking in between.
Chop the hazelnuts and grind the almonds unless you've got already-ground and chopped ones.

Mix the flour with the baking powder and the ground almonds in a separate bowl and then gently fold in the flour mixture into the eggs and sugar and butter mixture.
Fold in the hazelnuts and marzipan.

Pour the mixture into the tin and scatter with plums, pushing them down into the mixture a bit.

Bake for about 35-40 minutes.


Now Delicious also had a lemon-icing sugar frosting to go on top of the cake and I did make it, but it was just too far over the top. Too sweet, too much. Also this cake - well, my dad put it the best. He ate a piece and then sat there, thinking, until he finally said. "That's an honest cake". It really is. But it was a bit too much for me, too nutty / greasy / sweet at the same time. I think it would be lovely with just the marzipan, the almond flakes and the plums. That means no ground almonds and no chopped hazelnuts. Although I'm quite a nut-freak, I thought they were a bit too much. But give it a try, it certainly is something to leave out for Santa with a tall glass of milk.

2 comments:

stephchows said...

A lack of comments is never fun! At least you realized the issue!! This marzipan cake looks so over the top amazing!! Man I'd love a slice!

Sophie said...

Welcome back, I say!! This dessert sings to me, Kat!

MMMMMMMMM,...a very delcious dessert!! I love marzipan in desserts!