Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A lifesaver

Unfortunately I don't have a too familiar relationship with Middle Eastern cuisine, but whatever I've had of it, I've always enjoyed. And I've especially loved all the pasty, gooey things there. And more than anything - houmous.
I'd never thought of making it myself before a friend of mine said that she had made it and even fed some to her baby daughter, who loved it.
And what a lifesaver it was, I mean really, the timing was perfect, as it coincided with a complete lapse in sanity that I suffered a couple of weeks ago. For some unknown reason I decided to read all of the Stephenie Meyer Twilight Saga novels in 5 days. That's 2129 pages. And romance novels are not my brand of poison at all. The only more or less valid justification I can come up with is that they make a really intense filler to a socially, intellectually and in some ways emotionally barren desert that a new moms life otherwise is...
But back to houmous. One of the side-effects of the brain-bleed that I got from all that tongue in cheek vampire stuff, was that I kind of just stopped eating. And if weren't for the lovely batch of houmous I made, I would have probably just starved to death. It is absolutely amazing how far one slice of bread spread nice and thick with houmos will take you. Really, I know it's a bit of an oxymoron, but I'd really recommend houmous as diet food. It just last's so so long. It outlasts any type of whole-grain oatmeal experience by far.

Home-made houmous (hummus):
makes ~250 g


1 jar of conserved chickpeas (~150-200g)
3 tbsp of tahini (sesame seed paste)
juice of 1/2-1 lemon
1 tbsp of premium quality extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of honey
a tiny pinch of salt
1 large clove of garlic

Peel and chop the garlic.
Drain the chick-peas.
Pour the chickpeas into a blender, add the garlic, the juice from 1/2 lemon, 2 tbsp of tahini, salt and the olive oil and blitz until smooth. Taste, you'll probably want to add the third spoonful of tahini, the rest of the lemon juice and the honey.
Serve in air.´-tight containers in the fridge, will keep for about a week.
It's lovely as a dip for fresh vegetables, chips or as a bread-spread.

5 comments:

Peggy said...

sounds delicious! i made a hummus not too long ago with zucchini added in and it was great with some pita chips!

Pille said...

I LOVE hummus - such a great standby (as long as you have canned chickpeas on hand)..

mardikas said...

oo ma armastan humust! no niii nii hea. ma iisraelis esimest korda sain ja vahel on mujalt ka õnnestunud kellegi endatehtut saada ja jube nämmu. tee veel, ma tulen külla sööma :P

Sophie said...

I love all sorts of hummus & variations!

Yours is a basic one but looks so tasty & yummie!

The Healthy Apple said...

Delicious hummus; looks very yummy!

Happy Holidays.