Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First batch of ice-cream

As I already boasted, my lovely sister gave me an ice-cream maker for Christmas. I'm a huge ice-cream lover and when I was living in the States my all-time favorite was Butter Pecan, which, alas, cannot be found here in Estonia.
But butter and even pecans, can.
So oh so obviously my first batch of ice-cream was Butter Pecan.
My sis also gave me Ben Cohen's and Jerry Greenfield's Home made ice-cream book (have I already written that they only just started selling Ben&Jerry's here, like a couple of months ago, really. It's been an ice-cream lovers hell), so I used their recipe.

Butter Pecan Ice-Cream (makes ~1 liter):

100 g butter
150 g pecans
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
180 ml sugar
750 ml 10% cream (or use 250 ml milk and 500 ml whipping cream, as B&J suggest)

Freeze the ice-cream makers bucket a day in advance.
Halve the pecans.
Melt the butter over low heat, add the pecans and the salt and sauté until pecans start to turn brown. Stir constantly but be careful not to break the pecans up too much.

Drain the butter into a small bowl and let it cool.

Transfer the nuts to another bowl.

Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar, a little at a time, until completely blended. Pour in the cream and whisk to blend. Then add the cooled butter and whisk to blend.
Cover and set aside in a fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight (this step is optional).
Turn your ice-cream maker on and transfer the mixture into the maker. Freeze following the instructions. Add the pecans about 1-2 minutes before done.


And it was exactly as I remembered it, well maybe a little bit lighter as I did use 10%. But it was fabulous. If I could, I'd just live off Butter Pecan for a month.

6 comments:

Sophie said...

MMMMMMM,....a georgous looking ice cream!! I so love pecans!

Mireya said...

Looks delicious! That ice cream maker sure will come in handy once summer rolls around!

stephchows said...

great job recreating your favorite ice cream!!

mai said...

I made the ice-cream too, as it looked delightful. When adding the butter to mixture, did it go lumpy? I'm not sure, maybe I didn't cool off the butter proprely or does it have to be this way?:)

Anyway, the mixture is in the fridge, waiting for ice-cream maker. Yumm.

Kat said...

Nope Mai, mine didn't go lumpy ... can't imagine what the problem might have been. But let's hope the lumps will disappear while churning in the ice-cream maker :)

mai said...

my oh my! it turned out great and the taste was just delicious! my first ice-cream:)

thank you for instructions! looking forward to next Ben & Jerry's recipes.