Tuesday, January 19, 2010

G...g...g...goooey

So it seems that I'm going through a gooey phase :) Sounds good, doesn't it ? ;)
As you've seen in this blog, I've recently made my first houmous (and I've made it two or three more times after that, so it's quickly becoming a staple). I've also been making guacamole, although that is something I've been making for a while. And now I've made my first home-made fresh spinach pesto (yes, all you purists, I do know that technically only basil pesto is called pesto, but it's just so much easier to call it that, than to go into the whole "fresh blended green sauce" explanation) and my first baba ganoush (or Baba Ghannouj, if you so prefer). And they were lovely!
As I've made and photographed different pasta dishes and salads with spinach, I'm not going into the details of the spinach pesto here (and they're pretty basic anyways) as I'll probably do it later.

So here goes, Baba Ganoush


2 whole eggplants
2 large tbsp of tahini
salt
3 cloves of garlic
a good glug of olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
a bunch of fresh cilantro
chili flakes (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200C.

If you have a gas stove or some kind of flambee'ing equipment, char the skins of the eggplants. If not, no worries.
Prick the eggplants with a fork and lay them on a paper-lined baking tray. Cook until soft inside (a knife or a fork goes in easily), about 30-40 minutes.

While the eggplants are cooking, chop the garlic, squeeze the lemon juice and finely chop the cilantro.

Let the eggplants cool slightly, then cut open and scrape the insides into a bowl or a blender.

Add the rest of the ingredients and blitz into a smooth puree.
Serve with corn-chips or bread or as a dip for veggies.
Mine kept nicely for about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridg (it does kind of leak juice, but that's fine).
And it's a nice variety to the houmous, it kind of tastes similar (the tahini element), but is much lighter and airier. Makes a lovely bread-spread for a good breakfast. I love to sprinkle it with alfalfa sprouts.

2 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

A gooey phase sounds delicious! I love making all kinds of pestos (and I call them all pesto). Sounds fantastic. Your baba ganoush looks great!

thepassionatecook said...

i am addicted to baba ghanouj but have never tried it with coriander... since i am also a coriander addict, that fits nicely! definitely something i ought to try!