Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Back to the basics: roast chicken

Chicken doesn't really excite me usually, I mean it's nice and I use it and I eat it, but it's just kind of boring as far as ingredients go. But this week I got an unexpectedly strong craving, I suspect it had something to do with Lisa's and Pille's delectable poultry postings. As I had no clear idea, what I wanted to make, I only bought 4 chicken legs and nothing else, so when at home I just had to make do with what I had lying around. Here's what happened.

Lime and tamarind glazed roast chicken with veggies (Ahjukana laimi ja tamarindikastmes röstitud aedviljadega):
Serves 4

4 chicken legs
2 - 3 potatoes
2-3 large carrots
6 cloves of garlic
1 lime
1 tbsp of marinated sushi ginger
1 knob of tamarind pulp (about a heaped tsp)
a glug of olive oil
some freshly ground salt
some freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp of rice molasses (was out of honey, honey would obviously work fine)
some mango curry powder
some cayenne pepper

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Preheat the oven to 220C.
Peel and chop the garlic, chop the ginger.
Peel the potatoes and the carrots, cut into wedges and soak in cool water until you're ready to roast them.
Bring some water to a boil and simmer the tamarind in it for a minute or two, the water should turn brownish, strain the tamarind out and put the water back over heat. Add the olive oil, the rice molasses, stir. Keep simmering on medium to low heat for another minute or two. Add the lime juice, the chopped garlic and ginger.
Stir and simmer to reduce. It should be very fragrant, intensely sweet and sour.
Arrange the veggie wedges and the chicken pieces into a roasting-pan and pour over the tamarind-lime sauce. Sprinkle the chicken with the mango curry powder and the cayenne pepper (or don't if you don't like spicy), cover with foil and roast for 40-50 minutes.

Remove the foil and roast (with the fan on) for about 10 more minutes.

I sometimes buy ready-roasted or grilled chicken and always think that it's fine and why bother roasting your own. Especially for salads or sandwiches. Well, I'd obviously not roasted my own for far too long, the difference is irrevocable. Our own little quality detector deemed the roast a big success as he kept demanding his own cut from everyone’s plate even though he had already had his dinner.

2 comments:

Kitchen Masochist said...

This looks like an interesting recipe. This is my first time seeing olive oil and tamarind together.

Sook said...

Wow, it looks great!