Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More ice-cream

I've been making good use of my newly acquired ice-cream maker (compliments to my lovely sis for a well chosen gift again). And as I'm in a love love love peanut butter phase again, it was only a matter of time, until I made peanut butter ice-cream.
My Ben&Jerry's book has a variation of peanut butter ice-cream recipes, I used the one for PB&Banana, but substituted bananas, which I surprisingly didn't have at the time (and I always have bananas as my little monkey L*O*V*Es them), with vanilla toffee or fondant candies. They're quite well known and loved here, called Kitty, but the box says pomade candies, which I'm pretty sure means absolutely nothing to any actual English-speaking person (I found a blog post here, that shows a bunch of candy boxes for this particular brand from different times). Basically they're the soft kind you get when boiling sugar, cream and butter.
I was also super-generous when it came to making the sweet cream base and mixed 10% cream with whipping cream (38%), instead of milk and heavy whipping cream so my ice cream ended up a bit over the top, but everyone loved it. And it kept really well.

Peanut Butter and Toffee (Fondant) ice-cream (Maapähklivõi ja kiisukommijäätis):
makes a generous quart

2 large eggs
500 ml heavy whipping cream
250 ml 10% cream or half&half or milk
180 ml sugar
3 large tbsp of extra smooth PB (I used Skippy's)
100 g toffee candies

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until fluffy.
Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue until completely blended.
Pour in the cream and the whipping cream and whisk to blend.
Pour some of the cream base into a separate bowl (or the PB jar, if yours has about 1 cup left in it) and stir in the peanut butter a little at a time. It takes quite some stirring, but eventually you'll and up with a completely blended thick mixture.
Stir into the remaining cream base and whisk until completely blended.
Pour into the prepared ice-cream maker and freeze following the instructions.
Chop or tear up the toffee into nice chunks.
After the ice-cream thickens, about a minute or two before it's done, add the toffee chunks.

I served it with a drizzle of maple syrup and on one occasion with some crushed walnuts. It was lovely. I'll definitely be making that again.

3 comments:

Liis said...

sõin seda midagi ning tõesti väga hea oli:)

lisaiscooking said...

Peanut butter ice cream sounds so good! Can't wait to try making it.

Joie de vivre said...

Kat,
Thanks for sticking with me! It's not you, I have not been posting. I took a 5 month break. You know, life happens! But oh, how I have missed it! I'm back now and will be blogging with abandon. The texture of your ice cream looks wonderful! Mine always seems too soft and when I put it in the freezer, it gets as hard as a rock! I must admit however, I haven't practiced all that much. Time to dust off that ice cream insert and put it in the freezer!