Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Having fun with the peas

As my last post was a homage to Nigella, it's only appropriate to continue with green peas, as far as I remember, she's been called something like the "Queen of frozen peas" by some fellow chef.
So peas. Yes. Frozen.
I wanted to make a green pea soup somewhere around Lenten, but I wanted something different, something I hadn't made before. And I did end up with this fantastic little zesty and energetic soup. And so simple to make. But in all honesty, I have to admit that this one was Pea Soup 2.0, the first one was glorious till the last moment when I completely and utterly ruined it. So much so that the entire pot had to be thrown away, and I have seriously never ever done that before. Scout's honor! The first one had bay leaves and white wine and stuff in it. And in the end, just before blitzing, I decided to add Parmesan. And it all went horribly wrong. I ended up with a pot-ful of pale green goo that smelled like ... vomit. I kid you not.

OK, on that mouthwatering note I should probably continue to the soup that did not go wrong, but actually to my great relief was very very good and smelled wonderful. (Probably should have left the vomit-intro to the end bit of this post, huh?). well I hope you believe me, this soup was lovely.

Green pea soup with a spark (V├╝rtsikas rohelise herne supp):
serves 3-4


~200 g frozen green peas
1 can of kidney beans
1 fresh red chili pepper
3 cloves of garlic
a generous bunch of fresh peppermint leaves
1 cube of organic vegetable stock
juice of 1 lime
some ground coriander

Deseed and chop the chili.
Peel the garlic cloves.
Bring some water to a boil, add the stock cube, stir, then add the peas, the garlic , the coriander, lime juice and the chili pepper. Let them simmer for about 5 minutes, then add the kidney beans.

Boil for further 5-7 minutes, this soup is good when it's not boiled to a mushy oblivion.
Season with salt and chopped peppermint leaves.
Let it cool slightly and blitz into a puree.

I found it very refreshing and light. Will definitely make it again.

3 comments:

Sophie said...

A lovely & tasty looking soup,..soon,..there will be fresh peas! ooh yeah!

Peggy said...

peas are definitely the ingredients to use right now, I'm seeing it in everything! this looks great kat!

lisa said...

So glad soup 2.0 turned out much better! Looks fantastic, and I love pea soup.