Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wanna fill a rat with the entire Gobi desert



Obviousy, after an introduction such as that (Oh how I love me some Eddie) it's hard to follow through. But I will try. This will be a posting dedicated to stuffing (hence the taxidermy reference). I haven't really had a lot of experience with stuffing, Turkey Day is not celebrated here and when poultry is stuffed it is usually with apples or prunes or what not - this stuffing that ends up as a side thing is not that common. But S bought a lovely young Hungarian duck and I decided to put it in the oven whole and come up with some stuffing. What I ended up with was freakin' fantastic if I do say so myself :D

Apple-rye breadcrumb and cranberry stuffed duck (Part õuna, selleri ja riivleivatäidisega):


1 duck
a handful of coarse sea-salt

For the stuffing:
2.3 sour apples
2-3 sticks of celery
1 handful of dried cranberries
100 ml port wine
a glug of dry vermouth
2-3 tbsp of dry rye breadcrumbs
1 tbsp of oil
a knob of butter
a knob of ginger
mango curry spice
chili flakes
salt

Rub the duck with the salt, cover and set aside in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Peel and chop the apples and ginger, chop the celery.
Heat the oil in a deep pan and brown the ginger slightly, then add the apples and the celery, stir and sauté for 2.3 minutes. Season with the chili flakes and the mango curry powder. Add the knob of butter and stir until it melts in.

Add the port and the vermouth, let it reduce. If necessary (depending on how juicy your apples were) add some water. Then add the dried cranberries and breadcrumbs, stir and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until the cranberries and the breadcrumbs soak in the juices and you'll end up with a nice, soft, stuffing.
Taste, season with salt.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Remove the duck from the fridge, get rid of the salt, if necessary even wash the duck with some cold water. Then pat dry using paper towels.
Stuff the duck with the stuffing (about 1/3 full, I stuffed it ... with an entire Gobi desert - so it was really quite tight :D, but that meant that the stuffing ended up bursting out during cooking).
Bake in the oven for 1.5 - hours, covered with tinfoil.

Sorry about the duck pic, I had a serious case of wobblies that day, apparently, as this was the best one out of about 30 really blurry ones.

4 comments:

thepassionatecook said...

This sounds lovely kat, what a wonderful fruity filling! I've never made a whole duck, I think I will try your recipe soon!!!

Joie de vivre said...

That looks yummy! What was up with that comedian's suit!? I think that was almost as funny as his routine!

Debbie said...

Impressive! I would have loved to have been a dinner guest for this. Thanks for sharing.

lisaiscooking said...

I still have never roast a duck, but I really want to! Your stuffing sounds delicious with the fruit and vermouth.