Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ice Cream vol 3

So probably there will be a time, when I'll get bored with my fabulous ice cream maker, it hasn't happened so far, every time I make dessert I automatically think that I should make ice-cream. This one was my third I think. I wanted to have swirls in it like store-bought ice-cream can have swirls of caramel or chocolate sauce or marshmallow. So I wanted to have maple syrup swirls, but that didn't happen. Don't know why, have to keep digging for a swirl-method. Leave me a comment if you know. But apart from the obvious lack of swirls, it was pretty darn fabulous again.

Vanilla ice-cream with chunks of digestive biscuit and maple syrup (Vaniljejäätis digestiivküpsiste ja vahtrasiirupiga):
makes ~1 quart

500 ml whipping cream (38%)
250 ml half and half or milk (I used a 10% cream that's called a coffee cream here, yes I was going for rich :)
100 g sugar
2 large eggs
2 heaped tsps of vanilla sugar (couldn't get my hands on real vanilla bean paste or anything like that, but that'd obviously be better)
3 heaped tbsp of maple syrup
6-8 digestive biscuits, crumbled into large chunks

Whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, add the sugar and the vanilla-sugar (extract) a little at a time and continue whisking until blended and not grainy. Pour in the cream and the milk / half and half and continue whisking until smooth.
Pour the mixture into the ice-cream maker and crumble the biscuits. Add the biscuit chunks about 2 min before the ice-cream is done. That's also when I drizzled in the maple syrup, hoping the mixture was cold enough for the syrup to leave nice swirls but it ended up just getting combined into the mixture and giving everything a lovely hint of a maple syrup taste that worked well too.
Yum.
I'll probably end up needing to give my ice-cream maker up for adoption before the bikini season comes too near :) Sighhh...

No comments: