Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hunting and gathering




So obviously my MOJO is not really back, as I had hoped. But I got so sick of the pork-pic (not to mention that the photo leaves a lot to be desired) as the first thing one sees when coming to Food Good to Eat, so I decided to post something. It's quick and easy and seasonal. There's an abundance of mushrooms in Estonia this fall, the more paranoid are suspecting nuclear radiation but I'm going with the slightly less morbid suggestion of an uncharacteristically warm summer and plenty of rain in the fall.
So yeah, the hunter-gatherer types are overjoyed, even if you don't really know the places or what you're doing you come back with overflowing baskets after going mushrooming. My favorites are chantarelles and ceps, but I've recently also discovered saffron milk-caps for myself. There never where any in the forests where we went mushrooming when I was a kid. They're the only milk-cap that doesn't need to be blanched and can go directly on the pan.


Wild mushroom and smoked sausage filled zucchini (Kuuseriisika ja suitsuvorsti täidisega suvekõrvits).



serves4

2 young zucchinis
a handful of sun-dried tomatoes
~ 10 cm bit of dry smoked sausage (I used elk-meat smoked sausage)

~ 200 g sauteed saffron milk-caps

For those you'll need:
~300-400 g fresh mushrooms (cleaned with a brush, if you can, don't get them wet)
1 onion, finely chopped
salt
a knob of butter
1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil
freshly ground black pepper

Chop the onion, the mushrooms, the sun-dried tomatoes and the smoked sausage.

Peel and halve the zucchinis and scrape out the insides so you have boat-like vessels to fill. Discard any seeds, but if you're using young enough zucchinis you really shouldn't have any larger ones. Chop up some of the scrapings and set aside.

Heat some water in a large pot, slightly salt it and blanch the zucchini halves for about 5 minutes, until they're just tender. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil on medium heat in a deep pan and add the butter, when it's melted, add the onion and when it's golden add the chopped sausage. After about 3-5 minutes, when the sausage is browned add the mushrooms and a little bit of the chopped zucchini-flesh.

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Sautee the mushroom-mixture on medium to lower heat for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and sautee for further 3-5 minutes.

Line an oven tin with tin-foil, place two zucchini halves on it and fill with the mixture. Place the left over zucchini halves on top, wrap the foil up and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

And to accentuate the hints of sentimentality in this simple dish, enjoy it with this playing on the background :)

7 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

Kat,
Thank you so much, as always, for visiting. You'll get your mojo back. I've barely posted all year but when the weather started cooling off, suddenly I was back to blogging full swing! Your comment about the tomato in my potage crécy made me laugh. I only added it because I had gotten the tomato that day from the farmer's market, but when I got home and unpacked it, it had gotten squished in my bag and had split. It was either use it that day, or throw it away! :) Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

Pille said...

Mis tuumaparanoiast Sa seente osas räägid? Esimest korda kuulen ;)

lisa is cooking said...

I wish I knew of a place to hunt for mushrooms! This sounds like a great zucchini stuffing.

Kat said...

Thanks for the encouragement Joie de vivre :)

Pille - jaa, tõmmuriisikate kohta on selline legend, sa tõesti pole kuulnud? kuidas need koguvad maa seest kõik halva endasse jne jne (ma ikka söön neid)

Lisa, you just have to plan a trip to Estonia :)

Sophie said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMM
MMM
MM
M,...What more can I say???

I hope you will get your MOjo back,..We also lack it from time to time,..It is normal, you know!

margot.holts said...

Hakkan juba murelikuks muutuma.. Ikka klõpsin su lehel visalt, lootes leida uusi mõnusaid postitusi, aga mida ei ole, on postitused.. Suures hämmingus olen isegi ühe kokaraamatu ostnud, aga see pole ikka see! Kas sa üldse enam kodus süüa ei tee või ei viitsi sa lihtsalt kirjutada? Kallis Katrin, kui sa ei viitsi blogida, siis saada mulle lihtsalt retseptid e-mailiga, ei jaksa enam kaua neid poolfabrikaate süüa ;)

Murelik Margot

Ilke said...

I just found your blog through Foodbuzz. Enjoyed reading, looking at your pics and listening to the music.
Hope you get your mojo back soon. I am looking forward to reading more!