Sunday, March 6, 2011

Good ethno-eats in London



I think I hadn't been to London for two years or maybe even a bit more, but we went this Valentine's Day. S had to work so I could gallery-hop, see friends and we even managed the most touristy of anything touristy to do - Madame Tusseauds.
We also managed to have two lovely, simple ethno dinners in Chiswick, the kind that are quite hard to find here in Tallinn.

First night we were hungry far too early and most of the places we were looking at were closed, so we settled for a kebab dinner in a very modest looking place, but they had their own tandoor in the corner and a guy who came out to make bread with careless splat-thump-splat sounds and the staff in general were believable enough. I had grilled veggies in my naan and S had lamb and chicken. The hummus with olives was great.






The next day we had some lovely Thai practically next door to the place we ate the night before. We started with some mixed meat skewers and prawns and veggies in filo pastry that came with three lovely sauces - sweet chilli, peanut and I can't remember what the third one was. I followed up with my favorite green papaya salad with prawns that was a bit too hot even for me. S had sweet prawns with veggies over rice.
"try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JqQNGeJ0tbs/TXObYWlyMXI/AAAAAAAAIUU/8IM0vM5c8AI/s1600/IMG_0728.jpg">

I also went to see my friends Xiaoyu and Matt and Xiaoyu's mother made a lovely dish of steamed rice, broccoli and a meat sauce of pork, soy sauce, mushrooms and to my great surprise - potatoes. I didn't even know potatoes were used in Chinese cuisine. They were SO good, slightly undercooked, absolutely yummy. Sadly I forgot to take pictures of that last one.

No comments: