Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mango my Mango


I made ice cream again. I wanted to make something where I could somewhat limit the amount of sugar as mini-me is a fan of ice cream, just like his momma. But plain vanilla seemed boring, so I took a deeper look into my Hobbit-style stash of stuff and found a can of mango-pulp I recently bought.
Mango ice cream it is then.

Mango ice cream with a hint of cinnamon and fresh lavender (makes a quart):


600 ml of fresh cream (10%)
1 can of mango pulp
t tablespoons of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
leaves off three stalks of fresh lavender
2 large eggs

It's pretty basic, make sure your ice cream maker is ready to go, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, add the sugar, whisk until smooth. Add the cream, whisk until combined. Add the mango, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and lavender, whisk until combined.

Transfer to the ice cream maker.

It's really, really lovely. Especially, if you, like me, can never leave an Indian restaurant without a mango lassi. A treat for that inner monkey screaming: 'feed me dessert, more, more', yet not too sweet. The seductive mango flavor is nicely enhanced by the cinnamon and the lavender. I love it. I really do. Even S, who is not as insane about ice cream as I am, said it's very good. And, I've learned that in boy language it means 'wow, this is incredible, please make more.'

1 comment:

lisa is cooking said...

Sounds delicious with the lavender, and it's such a great color! I'm so drawn to frozen treats right now.