Monday, August 22, 2011

Some things are better than others


More (and less) famous chefs always go on in length about how the quality and the freshness of the produce is what actually makes or breaks a dish. It would be almost embarrassing to add in my two cents to the Spiel if it weren't for the insane intensity that understanding always comes with. It's literally like a brick in the face. The difference is mind-boggling. And yet we seem to forget, some time passes and we remember that something freshly caught, killed, ripened was so good, but it fades. So in the winter we eat the odd, tasteless fruit sold under the label of tomatoes without gagging.
But I guess it's not surprising, human mind seems extraordinarily fickle when it comes to flavor, if you haven't seen it, watch Heston Blumenthal's Kitchen Chemistry, it's fascinating, I love the experiment he did in some Swiss lab on how quickly the brain got used to a flavor and literally stopped sending signals about it, so it felt like there was no flavor. The results were even more drastic with added sugar.
Anyhow, I digress. Yes, fresh stuff. Is extraordinary. You might remember me mentioning my dear husbands fishing hobby. Well he's getting good at it, one night he got a bunch of breams and perches and my dad smoked them in his barbecue. I think it took about 3 hours. Words fail me at describing how good that fish was. And how incomparable to the store bought smoked bream, for example. Each time that happens I start thinking that foodies perhaps need to set up a hunter / gatherer / cooker natural economic cycle. You know, barter deals all around, those who kill - share, those who grow - share, those who catch - share and those who cook share as well.

No comments: