Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Beer ... now there's a temporary solution! (Homer Simpson)



It's been a while since I've roasted a whole chicken and I am fairly certain that I've never held one as big as the one my organic-farm-keeping-freerange-hapy-chiken-and-goat-keeping friend sent me. It was over 2.5 kg ( 5.5 lb) and all meat, almost no fat. Giant, strong legs, fed and bred on potato mash, as I've heard.
Anyway, yes, large chicken.
And of course I decided it was time to try something new, so I decided to stick it on a beer bottle, was unable to remove it's neck, so all in all I was lucky it fit in the oven.

Whole roasted chicken with dark beer and sage butter:


1 whole chicken
a large knob of butter (25 - 50 g)
a glug of vegetable oil (1-2 tbsp)
a generous bunch of fresh sage
salt and black pepper
a bottle of dark beer ( I used Latvian Zelta, because for some, very unpatriotic reason, that's what I had in my fridge)

Wash the chicken inside and out, pat dry, rub with salt and pepper (also inside and out).
Preheat the oven to 200 (400 F) C.
Pour the oil into a skillet placed over medium heat, add the butter and when it's melted the sage leaves. Lightly brown the sage leaves and set aside to cool a bit.
When the butter has cooled enough rub it and the sage leaves all over the chicken. If you feel like it, make small cuts into the skin and get some of the butter and the leaves under the skin.
Wash the beer bottle and remove the lables.
Pour out about 1/3 of the beer (don't drink it).
Set the beer bottle on an oven tray and the chicken upright on the bottle so it stands on it's feet and the bottle like on a tripod.
Cover with tinfoil and roast for about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to about 180 C (375 F) and roast for an hour.
Pour the beer your saved before into the bottom of the oven tray (makes good sauce).
Remove the foil and turn on the top grill and the fan and let it roast for 10 more minutes. Stick a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken's thigh, it should be at around 70 C (165 F), if you don't have a meat thermometer, stab the chicken and see if the juices that run out are clear. If they are you should be good.

Let it rest for 2o minutes. Carve and serve.

Oh and ... would you have loved me less if I had used that other good Homer Simpson beer quote for the title, you know the 'I like my beer cold, my tv loud and my homosexuals flaming?' :D But since I'm fine with flaming or not, I thought it would be just wrong. Or was it because this is, after all, merely a food blog.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh these are fantastic... I've made this using a can of beer... works just as well.

jordanthemostwonderfulest said...

Well, admittedly I'm from TX but we always use cans. I've never seen it done with a bottle. :)Learn something new every day.

Kat said...

oh yes, the recipe said can. But I thought that colored aluminum is not necessarily something I want touching the insides of my yummy organic chicken for an extended period. But I think in terms of emitting beery vapors a bottle should work as well as a can.