Monday, December 19, 2011

Hunter

... sadly not S. Thompson but the '... or gatherer' type. Although ... there is strong liquor involved so perhaps there is a way for me to weave some light fear and loathing into this post.


sorry, had to be done, that is just too funny.

So as you see, I am not dead. I am not even starving myself or my family. I am just a very lazy foodblogger. *repents*

But I had to share this with you because it was a first for me. I've never made pate before and a friend of mine sent me a wild boar liver, so I, of course, decided that now was as good a time as any to try.



Under the scornful gaze of my husband ('why are you making this giant amount of pate, who will eat this?') I chopped said ginormous liver up, soaked it in milk for about two hours, while quickly nipping to the store to get some very fatty meat and a bottle of brandy. I never drink brandy so I spent quite some time staring at the bottles, hugging my large lump of bacon until I finally left with a bottle that claimed oak aging and when I unscrewed the cap at home, filled the kitchen with an odd, fruity, flowery scent

Oh well.
As for the recipe, I kind of did my usual 'shaken, not stirred' thing and just took bits and pieces from various recipes. I browned equal amounts of chopped, fatty pig's meat and wild boar liver with some chopped onion, then transferred the meat to a large pot and covered with home made chicken stock. I added salt, garlic, some bay leaves, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and ground coriander seeds, orange pepper, chopped carrots and about 100 g of soaked raisins.
I let it simmer for about an hour and a half (I had about a kg of both, if not more, so it was a large pot). Basically until it was all tender.
I then let it cool a bit (although not enough as I still nearly shorted my handheld blender thingie) and blitzed it, adding a generous glug of brandy and a about a 150 grams of butter (could have gone with more). I then let it cool and scooped it into grip-packets (you have to try taking a 'mini-grip' of pate to your friend's, their expression is priceless) and jars, stuffed some in the fridge, took some for friends (and as gifts to my kid's day-care teachers at the Christmas party) and dumped the rest in the freezer.

For those cold winter days when one just needs some pate.
You know.

4 comments:

lisa is cooking said...

Great use of the liver! I've never made pate either, but I'd like to try some day. Happy Holidays to you!

tonu.oja said...

hmm!

jordanthemostwonderfulest said...

Looks yummy! I wouldn't have had any idea what to do with that much liver, I usually just wrap it in bacon with a water chestnut and some teriyaki sauce. So very 70s.

~Bee said...

I don't think I've even ever sampled pate, let alone tried any. Certainly a good culinary first! Liver looks very much like sea creatures in that picture...