Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quackaliscious

I made duck confit (again) for New Year's Eve. I'm kind of playing around with the idea of flexitarianism or at least ethical omnivorism (the book is waiting to be read on my kindle, but my schoolrelated reading list is kind of snuffing out all else). Anyhow, the duck is from that friend's farm, you know, the one I get the goat meat and cheese from, so I'm thinking it counts.

No tricks about the whole confiting process, salt, leave overnight, wipe clean, cover with duck and goose fat and cook for about 5 hours on low heat. Lately we've taken to using the slow cooker, as it holds the temperature and you don't have to babysit it. It's just important to transfer the duck into an oven pan for about 15-20 minutes for a quick tan ;).
Respecting the global tradition, we were, of course, totally over eaten from the holidays, so the duck got accompanied by a nice, light green bean and lettuce salad with French dressing.

This being my family, we had if course already had duck confit at a point between Christmas and NY, when my sister and her bf were over. That time we made a glorious potato gratin with nutmeg, and let me tell you, that was a killer combo (quit literally, it was hard to breathe after). I think I'll make that gratin as Asian some time soon. It was a good network recipe, the first on I pulled up in my phone.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) said...

I'm finding I LOVE duck now, but what exactly is a confit?

I wish I had a friend's farm to get meat from... I've tried to go veg three times and just can't, and can't quite afford to go totally ethical meat. The usual excuses, I know...